Wednesday 17 August 2011

Welcome Whisky Creek press author, Lux Zakari!!


First things first, Lux...hot, hot, hot cover!! I love it. Sexy, dangerous, intriguing...just yum! Who was the artist? He or she deserves a mention, don't you think?

Great to have you here, let's start the questions!

1) Did you set any goals for 2011?

I’m always setting goals! I’m addicted to making to-do lists, and I love adding to them and crossing things off; it’s very satisfying. I think it’s good to always have a to-do list or at least set goals; they’re what make living so exciting. Some of my unfinished non-writing goals for 2011 include visiting Australia, beating Final Fantasy on my old-school Nintendo and building a birdhouse out of Legos.

2) What is the best part of the writing process for you?

I’ve come to learn that I really love the problem solving aspect. I like coming up with a basic idea then thinking, “Now, how do I make this work?” and then forging ahead and seeing it through. I also love writing quippy dialogue and sneaking in little “Easter eggs” for certain readers.

3) The worst part?

The worst part is the guilt and pressure I feel when I don’t write. I’m a slave to the grueling bitch goddess that is my muse!

4) What is the book you wish you’d written?

I’m a huge Sweet Valley High nerd; I love to hate it, I love what over-the-top brain candy it is, and you can ask me about any plot line (or plot hole) and I’ll be able to tell you what’s up. Ergo, I will say Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later. I feel I could’ve been more consistent, and I would’ve made some very different choices.

5) Favourite author/s & book/s?

I will always love Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity, but it’s actually been a long time since I’ve read something of that caliber! I’m interested in recommendations.

6) Tell us about your latest release.

My new book, Finale, is hot off the virtual presses as of August 15, 2011, thanks to Whiskey Creek Press. The premise:

When music legend Jonathan Levant dies in a motorcycle accident, no one is more stunned than his former lover Olivia Gray, a hedonistic ex-celebrity who learns she’s been inexplicably named the guardian of his children. Olivia’s reluctant acceptance of the new parental role obliterates her hope of resurrecting her songwriting career as she faces sarcastic teenagers, suicide attempts and séances. The upset to her self-indulgent life forces Olivia to finally face the truth about the cruel decisions of her wild past, her now uncertain future and her secret, turbulent relationship with a man who, even in death, continues to upend her world.

7) Tease us with a blurb/short excerpt.

Absolutely:

# # #

I glanced up and down the length of the hotel hallway. Several doors down, I found what—or, more correctly, who—I was looking for, walking with his back toward me.

I wordlessly followed him, my heart again pounding from the thrill of the game. I trailed him down a back stairwell and out to the pool, lit only by a few torches and looking like a lagoon at this time of night. Rocks and palm trees surrounded the mouth of the pool and the black water seemed to stretch on for miles, its subtle waves shimmering in the city lights, and ended at a row of illuminated skyscrapers in the distance.

Jonathan stopped, as if entranced by the scenery. I paused in the doorway, listening to the soft Santa Ana winds staving off the smog, the muffled merrymaking of a nearby party and the sounds of traffic, which seemed so far off, it was like I imagined them.

The relative silence ended. “Are you going to tell me why you’re following me or do I have to guess?”

I had to smile at his voice—irritated, impatient. He turned his head, watching me from the corner of his eye. His profile, rosy in the light of the torches, was suspicious, attractive. His blond, perfectly coiffed Ken-doll hair was growing out, and his lips—far poutier than his brother’s—pursed as he awaited my answer.

“Following you? I don’t think so.” I stepped next to him and kicked off my shoes. “It appears someone let his fame go to his head. I just wanted to get a breath of fresh air, take a swim. Is that acceptable?”

His eyes, black in the night’s darkness, conveyed nothing as he studied my face like he looked for lies. “A swim?”

Was that a note of interest I heard? “Of course. Isn’t that why you’re here too?”

“I’m here because my brother kicked me out,” he said, burying his hands in his pants pockets and arching an eyebrow at me, “since he was in there with you.”

Boys weren’t allowed be both good-looking and so snide. “And now I’m out here with you. Kindly explain your point.”

Jonathan watched me for a moment then finally broke into a smile so wide, so genuine it took me by surprise. “I guess don’t have one.”

“It would seem so.” I looked at the horizon at the black jagged outlines of the buildings, mulling over whether it’d be smart to up the stakes in this game with this boy. He was too young, too angelic.

Still, being smart was so terribly uninteresting.

My decision made, I grabbed my hem and pulled upward, now completely nude except for the Harry Winston diamonds at my throat, wrist and ears. I handed him my dress and took a few strides toward the pool, the damp rock steps beneath my feet leading me into the water. “Well,” I called over my shoulder, “let’s swim then.”

Buy Link: http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=601&zenid=6682f72a0e56c6d5ef87b6d88e427d51

# # #

8) What is your favourite attribute of the hero and heroine?

My favorite thing about Olivia and Jonathan is actually what results when they’re together. Their sexy, smart dynamic really takes over in every scene they’re in, and I had so much fun writing their every flirty, angsty interaction, for better and for worse.

9) What’s next?

I’m currently subbing an erotic story concerning friends becoming more and a blindfold. I also have plans to try my hand at self-publishing a novel I wrote last year that involves sex, love and the Major Arcana, as well as writing a new story in which I’ll be exploring the endlessly entertaining world of fan fiction.

10) Tell me where you write?

I write where I can – on the floor, in bed, in my office, on the back of a library book receipt in my friend’s basement… Stealing moments whenever I can to write is one of the reasons why writing is fun for me.

11) Where would you like your career to be in 5 years?

I would like to continue networking with and meeting other authors, as well as have my books become available in print. I also have plans to increase the Lux Zakari bibliography. There are so many story ideas floating around in my head, and now that several events and situations in my life are coming to a close, it’s the perfect time to write.

12) Where can we find you?

I can be found on Facebook, Twitter and GoodReads, as well as in my own little corner of the Internet at www.luxzakari.com.

Great to have you visit with me, Lux - hope you enjoy your time here. Let's open the floor to questions and comments. Anyone?


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me, Rachel! I had a lot of fun, and I absolutely agree that my cover artist -- Kendra Egert -- deserves a shout-out. She did a beautiful job!

    LZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a pleasure to read you, Lux, whether in story, in interview or just in Facebook comments. If you do make it down to Australia, let me know and I'll point you towards a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be fantastic, Willsin -- absolutely!

    LZ

    ReplyDelete