Thursday 13 June 2013

Welcome multi-published erotic romance writer, Becca Dale...




Hi Becca! Long time, no speak :)

So happy to have you come back and visit with me so I can catch up with what you've been doing and what we've got to look forward to. Hope you enjoy my questions, let's get started...

Thank you so much for having me here today, Rachel. I love your website – it is beautiful.

1)  Who is your favourite author and why?

What a tough question to start. There are so many, but I have two who stick out most in my mind. J.R.R. Tolkien for his amazing world building skills and Jude Deveraux for the passion/emotion she gave her characters. Both skills can bring a book to life.

2)  When did you first consider yourself a writer?

LOL – in middle school when I wrote poem after poem to the boy who I assumed would be the love of my life. “In days of old thou would have been a knight in shining armor...” Or maybe even earlier when my friends would beg me to make up stories at sleepovers. When I had my first manuscript published, it confirmed that others might believe it too.

3)  Describe your writing space?

Most often I curl up in my recliner, computer on my lap, TV sounding quietly in the background, dog snoring on his pillow beside me, and hubby reading the paper to my left. All very ordinary.

4)  What are you reading now?

I edit for a living so I don’t have much time to read for recreation these days, but I am in love with Heather Long’s Marine Series so I am rereading them. And I am reading Frank Lloyd Wright: An Autobiography. The talent of this man never fails to fascinate me so I am enjoying a peek into his personal world.

5)  How many books have your written?  Which is your favourite?

Let me see, I just took three out of circulation to polish and re-release as they have my early mistakes, six with The Wild Rose Press – Wilder catalog, six with Decadent Publishing and one more in edits with them for a grand total of sixteen excluding the freebies and the numerous works in progress on my computer. Favorite? Ummm...that is tough. I guess I would have to pick Sweet Temptation because it is passionate and sexy and empowering all at once.

6)  What comes first, plot or characters?

Characters – they come to me and tell me what they want me to say about their lives. They tend to be very pushy and demanding. Ryan’s Treasure took forever to come together because the hero and heroine had a mutual respect and passion going from the start. I really had to work to convince them that the story couldn’t just be about how great they each found the other.

7)  Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?


Not often. Mostly if I can’t write, it’s because I have too much on my plate to sit down and engage my characters.

8)  What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Read, go camping, spend time with my family, garden etc. I am a country girl so anything that puts me outside or reminds me of home, but nothing too strenuous. Mountains are to look at not climb and rivers are for fishing not paddling down. :-D

9)  Tell us about your latest book?

Sweet Satisfaction (just released from TWRP – Wilder catalog) is Book 3 in the Sweet Series about a family who falls in love at first site. Here’s a blurb:

Terrified of her submissive nature, Kate Hastings refuses to give a man control of her life. Somehow, faking a wild and confident personality scares her less than facing reality--the heated longing for her sexy best friend and her deep-seated need for domination. Trouble is, none of the passive men she's dated do it for her.

Victim to a family curse, Connor Wallace can love only one woman his entire life—Kate. Yet, she insists on keeping him firmly in friend mode. Determined to prove he's more than friend material, he sets out to fulfill her greatest fantasies, even if it means tying her up to get her attention.

When passion and protective instincts collide, something has to give, but will the impact lead to broken hearts or sweet satisfaction?


10) What’s next for you?

Ryan’s Treasure – Book 2 in the Sanctuary series is in edits so that will release in the next month or so.

But I have two WIPs that have me fascinated right now. Chocolate Love is an interracial contemporary romance about a mute candy maker and the woman who understands him without words. This one has been a challenge as I have to remember that he can’t just tell her what he is thinking while keeping in mind that no matter how intuitive she is, she will not get it right 100% of the time. Writing dialog without it sounding one-sided is a challenge with them.

Another one is a friends to lovers/secret baby story (conceived during a moment of grief-ridden passion following his parents’ funeral). Love, Lies and Lullabies is about two people who were best friends until he left for Nashville and became a country music sensation. It has been interesting to see how mama bear deals with her passion when she sees the hero’s way of life as a threat to her son. And how the country boy juggles his love for the spirited small town girl and his very public career.

Click here to enter Becca's giveaway!


Comments??

1 comment: