Monday 18 July 2011

Welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author, Shoshanna Evers!

Welcome, Shoshanna! Shoshanna and I have only recently become acquainted through Twitter and the Wild Rose Press yahoo loop. You seem to be a very focused and prolific writer, Shoshanna, I am looking forward to finding out more about you.

Enjoy!

1) When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

Originally I didn’t decide to be a published author, I just enjoyed writing. When I was a kid every story I wrote had the words “Chapter One” on top, even if the whole thing was only a few pages long, since that’s what I saw in books. As an adult, I wrote sexy stories and shared them only with my husband. He was the one who suggested that since I spend hours a day writing, maybe I should turn it into a job and make an income at it! That’s when I got serious about getting published. I’m thrilled to be multi-published now with Ellora’s Cave, The Wild Rose Press, Cleis Press, and Berkley Heat.

2) What is the best and worst thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

The best thing I’ve learned from both my editors and my recently–acquired agent (Courtney Miller-Callihan of Sanford J. Greenburger Associates) is that my work is saleable. It’s nice to know that other people are interested in reading the books I spend so much of my time writing. Not really sure about what the worst thing would be. I like to think learning anything is a good thing!

3) Favourite author/s?

I have so many, if I name just a few I’ll feel bad about leaving some out. Lately I’ve been reading books written by the authors I’ve gotten to know online, on Facebook and Twitter.

4) What is your typical day?

Wake up at the crack of dawn, take my son to preschool, and sit in the lobby with my laptop and answer emails and try and write while I wait a few hours for him to be done. Then I drive him home for a nap and I get more writing done, or edits, depending on what’s on my plate. Afternoons are for playing and reading, and when my husband comes home we eat dinner together, put our son to bed, and either hang out for a bit or we both get back to work depending on what our schedule is. As you can see I’m a bit of a workaholic, but it’s because I love it. I used to do this even when I wasn’t getting paid for it. I also work every other weekend as an RN, and I write a weekly advice column under another name for a couple of local New York papers.

5) Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us.

Taste of Candy is an erotic romance novella available now from The Wild Rose Press. Here’s an adult’s only excerpt:

Excerpt from TASTE OF CANDY, copyright 2011 Shoshanna Evers

Candy took another sip of the wine to buy time. Who wouldn’t want to hook up with a rock star? And he was so amazingly sexy…but he didn’t know what she was like in bed. According to all three of her ex-boyfriends, she was a prude. A cold, vanilla prude. But something about Dave made her feel sexy and exciting…

“I should tell you something,” she whispered.

Dave leaned in to hear her, a lock of his dark hair falling into his warm brown eyes.

“I’ve never been able to reach, um, that point with anyone.”

Dave frowned. “You’re a virgin?”

“No. I mean, I’ve never been able to have an orgasm with a man before.”

“How do you…relieve the tension?”

Candy lowered her voice even more, so that she could barely be heard above the quiet murmur of the other dining guests. “I’m fine if I’m by myself. Just um…not with anyone else.”

Dave broke out into a grin. “I’m taking that as a personal challenge. I’m going to make you come tonight.”

Was this really happening?

Their food came then, and Candy dove into her filet mignon with relish, enjoying how the meat practically melted in her mouth. “Delicious,” she murmured appreciatively.

“Not as delicious as you’re going to taste,” Dave said as he put down his steak knife.

“I really wouldn’t know.”

“Oh come on, are you telling me no guy has ever gone down on you before?”

“Well, I’ve never felt comfortable enough to do that, exactly. I get embarrassed.”

“I just need to get you to the point where you can’t think about anything except what I’m making you feel.”

Candy squirmed in her seat with barely contained excitement. “How?”

“I’d really like to tie you up so you can’t get away and then take my time bringing you to orgasm.”

Candy got wet at the thought of his mouth on her body, her hands tied above her head. She’d never done anything like that before. “I don’t know…”

“Why not? It’s just one night. One night to forget everything you thought you knew about yourself sexually and just let go.”

You can buy Taste of Candy here for $2.50: http://www.wilderroses.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=833

6) Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

When readers read one of my stories, they can imagine whoever they want. I purposefully leave my visual descriptions of the characters minimal so that readers can fill in the blanks and make the Hero look like whoever they think is hot. And the heroine could very well be cast by the reader, if she wanted. Because of that, I can’t think of any movie stars that I would automatically want to play the roles in a movie. Of course, if Hollywood came calling, I wouldn’t say no! ;)

7) Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

I usually start a book by knowing the opening scene (in Taste of Candy, I imagined a woman being surprised that she won a date with a hot rock star on a radio call-in contest, and how thrilling that would be). I know the ending is going to be happy, or as I like to say “Sexily *Evers* After”, LOL. Then I write by the seat of my pants until I get there.

8) What surprised you the most when you became a published author?

The amount of editing and promotional work involved. When I was an aspiring writer, I spent all my time writing. Now as a published author, I spend equal amounts of time editing books I’ve sold or am trying to sell, doing social media, and writing new work.

9) Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

I write wherever I can (like in the lobby of my son’s school) but at home I have a desk facing the living room, so I can pop online quickly when I need to.

10) What’s next for you?

I just sold a book called Bedhead to Ellora’s Cave. It’ll be part of a multi-author series called Skin Deep. I’m really excited about this project, because the heroine has alopecia (she’s bald). I wanted to explore how losing her hair would affect her relationships and sex life. I haven’t even started edits on that one yet, so I’m not sure when it will be available. Hopefully this year. I’ve also got two anthologies coming out in December. I have stories in Best Bondage Erotica 2012 from Cleis Press and Agony/Ecstasy from Berkley Heat.

Thanks for having me, Rachel!

Sexily *Evers* After…

http://www.shoshannaevers.com/

http://www.facebook.com/shoshanna.evers

http://twitter.com/#!/ShoshannaEvers

http://www.jasminejade.com/m-660-shoshanna-evers.aspx

Great interview, Shoshanna and as I suspected you work hard, girlfriend! I recently had the amazing opportunity to write full-time around my two young daughters as well. What a liberating feeling it is - I wish all writers the same opportunity!

Comments?

7 comments:

  1. Great interview Shoshanna! Rachel is right, you are very focused and it was great to read your interview today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview girls! As Shoshanna's beta reader, I can verify just how busy she is—she's always giving me new work to read! Taste of Candy is a great, fun read. And I can't wait for other people to get the chance to read Bedhead. That story has so much heart... *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoshanna is always an inspiration. Loved the interview and insight into her process. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather! I'm lucky to have such an awesome critique partner :)

    And thanks LG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful interview reading about Shoshanna writing steamy scenes while in the the lobby of pre-school. Shows how determined you are. Best wishes to both of you and thanks for the new revelations of a focused writer.

    ReplyDelete