Tuesday 17 May 2011

Welcome, super mum and Noble Romance writer, Sarah Ballance!


I am so happy to welcome Sarah to my blog today because she amazes me how she writes at all with six kids at home! The fact she writes erotic romance amidst all that child chaos speaks volumes to me...escapism, escapism, escapism!

Take it away, lovely lady...


1) Who is your favourite author and why?

There are many I adore, but if I have to pick one my vote goes to Rosalie Stanton. Her sexy, witty, downright hilarious-at-all-the-right-times writing style is my absolute favorite.

2) When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I never wanted to be a writer – I wrote my first novel just because I didn't think I could do it – so my first contract came as a huge shock (especially since it also came from the first publisher I queried). I was absolutely certain I'd get some sort of "ooops" Dear Jane letter, so it wasn't until after my book released and I saw with my own eyes that it was for sale that it hit me, "Hey, I'm an author!"

3) Describe your writing space?

Most often, I'm sprawled on my bed, LOL. I'll go through bouts of staying up late or getting up early, and right now I'm staying up late. After dinner my husband takes over the kids and the household stuff and I shut myself in the bedroom to write. However, I have a netbook with a 10-12 hour battery, so I can truly write anywhere.

4) What are you reading now?

I just finished CRYSTAL'S COWBOYS by J. Rose Allister last night. (HAWT!) I haven't quite decided what I'll pick up next.

5) How many books have your written? Which is your favourite?

I've finished two, and both are published with Noble Romance. DOWN IN FLAMES is a contemporary romance and RUN TO YOU is a romantic suspense. Of the two, I love RUN TO YOU because my voice strengthened, but I mega-love that it's a suspense. I ADORE writing suspense, and on that note, my absolute favorite story is my work-in-progress UNFORGIVEN, also romantic suspense.

6) What comes first, plot or characters?

I have such limited experience as an author, but so far I'd have to say plot. Normally I have an idea before I start attaching characters to it, but for the most part the two aspects develop together.

7) Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?

Not in an epic sense. Sometimes I have trouble focusing on a particular scene, but when that happens I write ahead in the book a bit. Knowing I can just edit those words when I get to them in sequence takes some of the of the pressure off so I can fly through the new part, and normally that's what I need to dig back in to the scene I had to abandon.

8) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

We have about six months of boating and beach weather around here each year, and I'm thrilled to spend every moment possible on or near the water. We are a homeschooling family with six young children so that takes up most of my "free" time, LOL, but anything we can all do together is fabulous. Everyone is always outside but me and the baby, who celebrates her first birthday this month.

9) Tell us about your latest book?

Mattie James can't pinpoint exactly when she lost control of her life, but the moment she decided to take it back made the front page of the local paper. Desperate to dodge the fallout— and the tabloids—she jumps at the chance to spend an off-season week in a tiny resort community by the sea. Making the trip with her ex-lover is a complication she can live with; coming face to face with a dead woman is not.

The last thing Sheriff Wyatt Reed expected to find on the storm-ravaged beach was a beautiful blonde with a jealous sidekick, but one look at Mattie left him wanting more. Their first date takes an ominous turn when he gets the call that a woman was found murdered. With a killer on the loose and a troubling lack of suspects or motive, Wyatt has to put his feelings aside to focus on the case. But his vow not to become personally involved is shattered when he discovers Mattie's life is on the line, and this time the truth leaves her with a deadly choice . . . and nowhere to run.


10) What’s next for you?

UNFORGIVEN kicks off a romantic suspense series, of which I have three books planned with the potential to add more. The story brings together two old lovers – Gage and Riley - who thought they were through with one another until his brother turns up dead, and there's only one person who could have pulled the trigger: Riley. When they're reunited, she's staring down the barrel of a loaded gun, and he's got revenge on his mind. The remaining books in the series each pick up with one of the supporting characters from a previous title, although each one will stand alone.

Buy links:
PDF, EPUB, HTML, MobiPocket, Microsoft Reader: https://www.nobleromance.com/Authors/97
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003WKYEJI

Author links:
http://www.sarahballance.com/
http://sarahballance.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/author.sarah.ballance

Great interview, Sarah - your life amazes me and even more so, now I know the first book you wrote was snapped up! That's fantastic and inspiring. Good job!

Comments?

6 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks Rachel! You've got me all giggly this morning. I sure appreciate your kind words and gracious hospitality! (Thanks for not allowing kids on this visit, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the interview! I cannot believe you have 6 children! OMG! You are my hero, I barely make it through some days with 2 lol I've added Rosalie Stanton to my TBR pile, I love humour in books.
    I look forward to reading your new books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Leanne, and thanks so much! Rosalie's writing is INCREDIBLE. I personally recommend RIPPLES THROUGH TIME or her new one LOST WAGES OF SIN. She just amazes me! And as far as the six kids, we planned to have five and I had my tubes tied. Tied as in a section removed, ends tied and burned, and DONE. Two years later, I was pregnant again. Our baby girl made three of each for us and she's definitely the best "failure" ever, but we love to tell the story. I can't tell you how many sex lives we must have ruined, b/c every time my husband tells one of his friends, his buddy will say "I AM NEVER TOUCHING MY WIFE AGAIN." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your favorite writer? Really?

    Hot damn. I didn't see that coming. You kinda made me teary. I love you, girl.

    (and thanks for the pimp, but really for the weepy sensation I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to fight)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! And RUN TO YOU is pure brilliance. Everyone should read it. Like now. If you don't, I'll come after you. I have my ways.

    ...or really, I don't. Just read it. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Rosalie, you came to see me? *swoon* I'm immensely flattered by your words - thank you SO MUCH! And thank YOU for the pimp. That's mega huge ... I'll treasure it!

    ReplyDelete