Monday 27 September 2010

I am thrilled to welcome fellow Brit, erotic romance writer, Scarlett Sanderson!!

Hi Scarlett, it great to have you here! I love it when I discover other Brit writers who are in The Wild Rose Press family as I know they are there but hard to find amongst the bushes (excuse the word choice!). Right, shall we get on with the interview? Can't wait to learn more about you and your work...

1) What is your writing routine?

I’m one of those writers who don’t tend to have a routine. Sad but true! I try to carve out some time each week, usually at the weekend, and just sit down with my laptop and type. Throughout the week I’ll have been thinking about where I want the story to go, jotting down some ideas. I guess the only semblance of routine is the cup of tea that I always like to have with me when I sit down to write.

2) Which author/s inspire you to write?

Ahhh, too many to name. If I had to choose I would say Sherrilyn Kenyon. She was the first paranormal romance author I read about eight years ago. It was the first time I realized romance could be cool.

3)
Which is your favorite romance subgenre to read? To write?

I’ll read any subgenre, as long as there are words on a page I’ll read them J Looking at my bookshelves I seem to have a lot of paranormal and historical romance. I’ll opt for those!


As for writing I like to experiment with different subgenres. I never stick with one. I’ve written paranormal, fantasy, historical and erotic. If I had to choose, I’d go with historical. I have a degree in history and it’s a huge passion of mine.

4) How do you deal with criticism/rejection?

When I first starting writing, I used to take criticism and rejection to heart. I used to see it a personal slap in the face. I would be devastated for days and vow never to write anything again! Once you’ve written a few books, been criticized and rejected, I believe you learn to deal with it in a more mature manner. It still stings, but I don’t let that deter me from writing. I’ve developed a thicker skin.

5) What do you expect from an editor?

For me an author-editor relationship should be a close one. I don’t expect my editor to be distant or unreachable. I expect the communication to be a two way street. I expect an editor to be professional but also human, it’s nice when an editor respects your work and appreciates the creative effort you’ve put into it. It’s easier if you both have the same sense of humor! I’ve been very fortunate to work with some wonderful editors at The Wild Rose Press, but Trish Owens, my latest editor, is a hoot – professional, respectful, honest and a genuinely nice person who pushes me to get the best from my manuscript.

6) Tell me about your latest release

Owned by the Night is an erotic paranormal romance. Sweeping across time from Ancient Rome to modern day America, it’s a story about a female vampire looking for her perfect mate. Allegra finds Kyrian in Medieval England. A dark druid she turns him, seeking to control and harness his powers. Only Kyrian refuses to be tamed.

Despite my love (and pure addiction!) to vampires, I’d never written a story that involved vampires until Allegra and Kyrian came along.

7) Tease us with a blurb or short excerpt

Watching from the perimeter of the stone circle, Allegra’s gaze swept over the powerful druid performing the ritual. Wearing nothing but a coarse black robe, he knelt in the circle of stones, hands and face raised up to the heavens. The moonlight danced on the elaborate black and red tattoos that adorned his slightly golden-colored skin. The air around him crackled, sizzled with power as he chanted into the darkness. She adored the Dark Ages; people were so keen to embrace forbidden mysticism.

Allegra’s body tingled. Her nipples peaked, became turgid buds against the heavy velvet of her bodice. Her incisors lengthened. Her mouth watered—desire tasted hot and rich on the back of her tongue.

Yes.

Here was a man worthy of her companionship. She’d been a vampire for over a thousand years having been turned by her Master in Ancient Rome. She’d had lovers and fed from many humans—males and females, rich and poor. But throughout the centuries she’d never found a companion, one who made her body burn, her soul ache. One powerful enough to match her own abilities.

Until now.

Until him.

8) Which is your favorite character in the book? Why?

Kyrian de’Tame. I didn’t even need time to think about that one. He’s dark, dominating, delicious and dangerous. Something naughty that you know you shouldn’t want but can’t help needing. I need a fan just thinking about him!

9) What is next for you?

I don’t have anything scheduled for release yet, but I am in the process of trying to find a home for my first full length novel.

10) What are you working on right now?

I’m working on a historical novel set during the English Wars of the Roses. It might not be a straight up historical though. There may be a few time travel aspects lurking in the plot.

11) Your biggest piece of advice to aspiring novelists?

Write for YOU. Big cliché, I know. You have to write what you love, not what other people demand or what is selling. Write the story you are burning to read.

Learn your craft and I don’t just mean the writing aspect. Learn the business; learn about publishers and editors, the markets and promotion. There are so many things I wish I knew when I submitted my first manuscript. In essence, writing the book is the easiest part.

12) Where can readers find you?

I always look hearing from readers and other authors. They can find me on my blog: Musings from the Darkside of an Erotica Author

http://scarlettsanderson.blogspot.com/

Fabulous interview, Scarlett and I'd love hearing about your relationship with your WRP editor - I totally agree that the writer/editor relationship should be a special one. I know of writers who didn't connect with their editors at all and in turn, weren't happy with their final story that went to publication - can you imagine?? Scarlett would love to hear from you, folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment